Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

It's All About the Numbers

It really is all about the numbers

You'll often hear people talking about health and weight loss say that its not just about the number, and they mean the number on the scale.  Of course they're right, its not just about that one number.  However, it really does come down to numbers. Age, height, weight, measurements, body fat percentage, BMI, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, minutes of exercise per day, days of exercise each week, steps taken per day, minutes spent sitting as opposed to moving, calories in verses calories out, weight that can be lifted... all of those numbers combined actually do present a pretty clear picture of a person's health. 

I've decided I need to start tracking those numbers

Well, I won't be tracking all of them, for example, I don't yet know my cholesterol levels. I do know some of those numbers, and I really do need to track them.  So I'm going to check in with stats at least once a week, each Monday.


Today's health stats:

These first three I won't update every week, since obviously they won't be changing often, or in the case of gender, at all!
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Height: 5 feet 6 1/2 inches

Weight:

284.4 pounds this is obviously too high, and I need to get serious about bringing it down for my health.

Waist:

45 inches

Neck:

16.5 inches

Hips:

54 inches

Bodyfat:

48.3 %

BMI:

45.2

Blood Pressure:

164/104, this is unusually high for me, probably because I ate a lot of sodium yesterday, I'll be tracking once a week though so we'll start to see what it averages to.  If this is my usual number I now have stage 2 hypertension.

Heart Rate:

71 bpm... not really a true resting heart rate, but still, what it was I took my blood pressure this morning.



Action Plan

I am tracking my calories at Myfitnesspal, I need to track them consistently and stop making excuses for not doing so.  My goal net calorie range is 1930, which should allow for a 1 pound per week loss.  For now I plan to exercise at least 4 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. At first that will just be walking, but I will start to add other things back in very soon.

I have a Garmin Vivofit 2, and I am also going to be trying to pay attention to the move bar on that to avoid sitting too long, I am also aiming to slowly increase my steps per day to 10000, however I am not going to try to accomplish that over night, instead I'll let the vivofit set my daily goals based on the day before, and try to increase that slowly.


***************************************

Check out my artwork!